Thursday, February 24, 2011

Geek Jokes

I have a major problem with one of my characters. In the PIZZA DIARIES Amanda is supposed to have spent her entire life since the age of 5 immersed in a world of mathematics, spending about 14-16 hours a day working on her theories. After an accident she becomes dependent on my MC Brian the delivery driver and has to actually join his strange world. Unfortunately, none of my beta readers caught that, even though she mentions it 4 times in the book.

The problem is I don't have her acting geeky enough. So I'm trying to give her a geeky sense of humor.

When she is in shock and trying to describe that she has been sent through time she tries to sum it up by saying:

“The tachyon left the bar, the bartender says, 'We don't serve hypothetical particles here', The tachyon approached the bartender.”

When Brian points out she's done a similar thing to him, she says:

“Now we're not 1,3,5,7 or 9.”

“What?” Brian asks.

“We're even.”

When she notices Brian doesn't react to really odd things happening around him:

“That's very Noble of you,” she said.

“I don't see how not letting weird stuff bother me is noble,” he said.

“Noble gases don't react, you're like Helium.” She laughed at her own joke.

When she first sees Brian's apartment she comments:

“This isn't a place to live it's a macro scale model of Chaos Theory.”

When she finally comes on to him she says:

“I don't mean to make you derivative, but I want you to be tangent to my curves.”

And finally when Brian shows her he gets her sense of humor:

“We have to outrun them,” she said.

“The chances of that are negative 459 degrees Fahrenheit,” he said.

“That's Absolute Zero,” she said.

“And those are our chances.”

Those are the geek jokes I've come up with her so far.

Does anyone know any good geek jokes I can throw in to help her character?

By Darrell B. Nelson author of Alien Thoughts

1 comment:

Stephanie Barr said...

Check out t-shirts at ThinkGeek.com

As in ("There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.")