Monday, December 12, 2011

Rhetorical Rambling

Right now I'm struggling with one of my character's dialog. It is kind of long. There is an easy way to fix this; break it up with interruptions. Something I got good at writing AN EXTRA TOPPING OF HORROR. There is another way that is much harder, fill the dialog with passion and conviction so the reader can't put it down. Great political speeches are examples of that.

So dear blog reader, I shall practice on you.

Now some may ask, why would I take the hard path when there is an easy road available?

I don't write novels, short stories, this, that and, the other thing, because they are easy. I write them because they are hard! I write them because that is a challenge I am willing to accept, and one which I am unwilling to postpone, and one which I intend to win.

I willingly enter this arena, my face marred by dust, blood, and sweat. I will strive valiantly, knowing in my heart that I shall err, that I shall come up short time and time again, because there is no effort without errors and shortcomings. But in striving to actually do the deeds, I shall know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, of setting myself to a worthy cause. At best I shall know the triumph of high achievement. At worst, if I fail, at least I shall fail while daring greatly, not joining those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

In this challenge I can only offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. Is that enough to face the thousand slings and arrows of the nameless critics that seek to tear down anyone with a high and noble purpose? I shall face their laughter as it denotes not only a vacant mind, but a heart in which high emotions have been choked before they could grow to fruition.

I say boldly and loudly to those critics, the only thing I have to fear is the nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror that causes some writers to retreat, when they should advance. To fall back on the skills they are comfortable with, when they should be honing new skills. Sitting on the rung that they have gotten comfortable on and not bravely advancing to the next level.

Writing with passion and conviction offers pleasures from the gross to sublime, but it is not for the fainthearted. For nothing worthwhile has ever been achieved by respecting the status quo.

While the naysayers will mock, disagree, and vilify anyone who takes bold action, the one thing that they can never do is ignore them.

In this battle to win the hearts and minds of my readers. My commitment is strong and my resolution unwavering. This is a battle that not only can I win, but it is a battle that I will win.

By Darrell B. Nelson author of I KILLED THE MAN THAT WASN'T THERE

3 comments:

Stephanie Barr said...

Apt title.

;)

I'm all for passion unless it's partnered with complete ignorance. Fortunately, you're not a idiot.

Darrell B. Nelson said...

Thanks for saying I'm not an idiot, but I think you mean irresponsible.
I don't think Pat Buchanan is an idiot, but he has learned to use impassioned rhetoric very well and uses it to fan the flames of racism and hatred which is irresponsible.

Stephanie Barr said...

True, perhaps deliberate ignorance or calculated deception would have been better.