Monday, December 3, 2012

The Mother of All Polls

My last poll was about what NASA will say they found on Mars in their December Press Release. People voted for the extremes. Half thought they would announce that they found, “A civilization of Cats with waves of Kitten Armies” the other half thought they found, “A Rock”.

I'm thinking the truth will be somewhere in between.

On to my next Poll:

One of the strange things about growing old is to watch the changes in the people around you. The other day I used Facebook's high school friend finder. It showed the pictures of people who were supposedly in my class in high school. It tried to trick me, but I know their weren't a bunch of middle aged people in my class. I would have noticed.

One of the odder effects age has on a person is their taste in music changes. I can remember a friend of mine coming up to me all upset because his daughters wanted to go see some band. He said, “It's just two girls who get on stage and make out and call it a concert.”

This made me ask, “What is the name of the band again? Do they post videos of this? When are they playing?”

Oddly enough this wasn't the reaction he was expecting.

Another friend who is a few years younger than me hates the Katey Perry song, “Last Friday Night” because of the lyrics:


Last Friday night
Yeah we maxed our credit cards
And got kicked out of the bar
So we hit the boulevard


She feels kids will think that's aright.

What I had to remind both these people is the songs of our youth in the 80s and 90s. People wanted to ban them. As I tell them that the song “Mother” by Danzig plays in my head:

Mother
Tell your children not to walk my way
Tell your children not to hear my words
What they mean
What they say
Mother

Mother
Can you keep them in the dark for life
Can you hide them from the waiting world
Oh mother

That gets me wondering.

At what age do kids turn their parents, from Danzig fans to what Danzig wrote about?

Birth

Adolescence

Early Teens

16

As always vote on the upper left hand side of the page.

If anyone has any thoughts on this topic I'd love to hear them. It's something that I've wondered for a while.

By Darrell B. Nelson author of I KILLED THE MAN THAT WASN'T THERE

No comments: