Sunday, August 29, 2010

Shut-up Stupid Sunday: Religious Extremists



This morning at breakfast I looked at my toast and saw the image of the Prophet Mohammad, and I wondered if I were an Islamic Extremist would I have to declare a jihad on myself and blow myself up?

This got me to thinking about Religious Extremists, not the 98% of religious people who try to benefit from all religions emphasis on community and being a good human being. But for about 2% of all religious people those messages go haywire.

Islamic Extremists seem to want to blow everything up.

Protestant Extremists want to selectively shoot people.

Catholic Extremists see the image of Jesus everywhere and have a hard time believing that others don’t see it as well.

Unitarian Extremists talk about social policy for days on end (as opposed to the non-extremists who only talk about for a few hours on end).

Basically these 2% have mental problems that they use their religion to justify. So to those people who use their religion as an excuse for their own mental problems, I say, “Shut up Stupid and get some professional help.”

By Darrell B. Nelson author of Invasive Thoughts

No comments: