Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Writing Wednesday: Being a proud Father


Warning: Shameless Self-Promotion Ahead

The day has finally arrived, my book “Invasive Thoughts” is now on sale and I feel like a dad whose wife just gave birth. If you would like to order it click on the gadget at the upper left side of the page.

I have wild dreams about my book’s future, just like any dad. Will it grow up and save the world or will it climb to the top of the nearest bell tower with a high-powered rifle and go on a mass murder spree? Ok maybe my dreams aren’t quite like other dads.

I’d love it if it was a world-changing best selling book, but I’d be more than happy if just a few people liked it, and hopefully anyone who buys it feels they got their $29.95 worth of entertainment out of it.

It’s like how a new parent would love it if their child would grow up to change the world, but would still be incredibly proud of their kid if they just grew up and had a some good friends and were liked in their community. As long as it doesn’t become a mass murder it will be loved.

With my book going on sale I need to enter a phase in my writing career. I need to learn how to market my book. I’ve found out through research that a writer can’t just sit around and write, although the title, “writer” would imply that. After nearly a year of writing and rewrites and a year of sending out queries, then months of going through the publishing process, I now have to figure out how to get the word out about my book.

I hope to keep everyone informed about how the whole marketing thing works. It’s not a totally new area for me as I was a marketing professional before the meltdown but I’ve never done it in the literary field.

No comments: