Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Crazy Poll

"Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, though tied to thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"


In my last poll Melville won. So when the time comes that your mortal enemy has outwitted your plans to unfurl your vengeance and you feel death's icy grip upon your soul. Just pull up your ebook of Moby Dick, or your paper copy, and read any line that relates to obsession or revenge. Which is any line after “Just call me Ishmael”.


Although if your final words were “Just call me Ishmael” it would leave your mortal enemy baffled and unable to savor victory.


On to the next poll:


Yesterday was Columbus Day, and after seeing all the furniture store ads saying that you can, “Discover a New World of Savings!” I thought about all the people who have had holidays in their honor. Add to that Steve Jobs passed away last week which reminded me off my favorite Apple ad quote:


Here’s to the crazy ones. The rebels. The troublemakers. The ones who see things differently. While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.


Those two things gave me an idea. Absolutely everyone who has a holiday named after them could be called crazy. Columbus was crazy to believe the map he bought could take him around the world. Washington was crazy to think he could defeat the most powerful military in the world. MLK was crazy to believe that equality could be won through non-violent resistance.


They were the crazy ones, and they changed the world.


But there simply aren't enough days in the year to honor all the crazies. The people who look at the world and say, “I can better.” The people that when someone says something can't be done, look over their shoulder and say, “Watch me!”


Call me crazy, but I believe the people who believe that “good enough” is never, enough deserve recognition.


Those crazy fools that don't think the world can be better, they know it can.


Those who look at half a glass of water, and fill it the rest of the way.


We need a National Crazy Day!


Here are some ideas as to the name for that day.


Different Day.


Loony Love Day.


Not Good Enough Day.


Change the World Day.


If you have an idea for what this day should be called leave it in the comments and I'll add it to the poll.


As always you can vote on the top left of the page.


By Darrell B. Nelson author of I KILLED THE MAN THAT WASN'T THERE

No comments: