Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Writing Wednesday: God Save our Scream Queens

One thing that really miss from the movies I grew up on, then the B-Movies I used to rent was the Scream Queens. The girls who would go over the top in their reaction to the first dead body they ran into before turning into the kick-ass serial killer fighter that saves the day.

Now the leading ladies in movies aren't expected to show any emotion when something bad happens. If things continue like this a horror movie might start out like this:

Leading Lady is sitting on a park bench. Serial Killer in mask rides by on a bike and throws the severed head of her boyfriend into her lap.

Leading Lady (picking up head and looking it over): Oh, it's Bob.

Leading Lady sets head down opens up her scheduling app on her phone: I guess dinner is off.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to go back to the fifties movies where the women were in the film just so the hero could have someone to rescue, but I'd really like for the female stars to react a little to the horror going on around them.

What about you? What do you miss from the old movies?

By Darrell B. Nelson author of I KILLED THE MAN THAT WASN'T THERE

No comments: