Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Writing Wednesday: An Even Better Rejection


“We have read your manuscript with boundless delight, and if we were to publish your paper, it would be impossible for us to publish any work of a lower standard. And, as it is unthinkable that in the next thousand years we shall see its equal, we are, to our regret, compelled to return your divine composition and beg you a thousand times to overlook our short sight and timidity. ”
From “Rejections on Display”

I thought I had gotten some pretty good rejections for my works as I have moved from just getting form letters, to getting form letters with a quick note, to getting personalized rejections. I was getting a little cocky thinking I might be the skinniest kid at fat camp. Then I came across that rejection letter at “Literary Rejections on Display” and I realized I’ve got a lot more work to do before I can consider myself the king of rejects.

Darrell B. Nelson

1 comment:

Stephanie Barr said...

I adore sarcasm. I'd be going back to whoever had given me such a rejection over and over until I wore them down.

Maybe it's a good thing I never received such a rejection.