Friday, May 18, 2012

Fun With Shorts: Family Life



This is a short Josh Way made about a year ago. He riffs the 1949 Coronet short, “Family Life”.

One thing these old Educational shorts commonly did was have multiple narrators. I remember during high school how irritating that was. Believe it or not this was not the worse example of the time.

In this short the mom gets sick of her whiny ass family and comes up with a simple guide to a healthy and balanced family life. Which Josh explains at 4:11 in the short:

Guides to Home Management:

1.Schedule (Leave me alone)
2.Responsibilities (Do it yourself)
3.Privileges (Hands off my stuff)
4.Finances (Leave me alone)

The family expands on this pointing out that all the troubles in the family are caused by the Mother and Daughter not doing their chores. Simple!

Later they go on to Budgeting. They discover that as long as the women sacrifice their hopes and dreams the family can take a vacation. Whoo-ho!

My favorite line:
They figured out as a family they wanted to have fun, who doesn't?
Mormons.

Overall:

This is classic Josh Way. Like always his observations are on point and funny. The short is really, really horrible. With this one his timing is great.

Josh has a lot of shorts like this and in the coming weeks I'll be showing them. I hope you enjoy them.

By Darrell B. Nelson author of I KILLED THE MAN THAT WASN'T THERE

No comments: