Tuesday, January 27, 2009

An Apology to George W. Bush


Like most of the middle section of the country, I am stuck in an ice storm.
The freezing rain has placed nearly an inch of ice on the branches of the trees and they simply can’t hold the weight of the ice and are breaking off.
Unfortunately, I have an eighty-year-old maple tree in my front lawn that really doesn’t like the ice and is having a major branch fall off into the road or the driveway at a rate of at least one every 15 minutes, and I have to go move it out of the way.
Now I feel I owe George W. Bush an apology, for the last 8 years the principal thrust of his administration was dealing with encroaching brush. He personally spent 879 days of his Presidency removing brush the most any president has spent defending this nation against encroaching brush.
Sure during his time in office I and many others felt that spending one third of his time battling brush was extreme, only to see now that he was actually a visionary. While others worried about terrorism, global warming, the economy, and things like that, he knew that America’s real threat came from encroaching brush and he never let minor things like terrorist attacks, the financial meltdown, or hurricanes destroying a major American city, distract him from keeping us safe from encroaching brush.
Now, only one week after he has left office, my front lawn is filled with brush from my tree. It seems if I had only a little more faith in Bush’s brush clearing agenda I might have been safe.
Luckily, thanks to Bush’s economic policies of the last 8 years, I have plenty of free time on my hands to clear that brush since I, like many other people, don’t have a job to go to.

No comments: